Exceeding Maximum Posted Speed Limit 75-3362
§ 3362. Maximum speed limits.
Fine $42.50 for violating a speed limit of 65 miles per hour, $35 for violating any other speed limit; if exceeding limit by more than 5 miles per hour, add $2 for every additional mile per hour, per Title 75 – §3362(c)
Suspension of 15 days for exceeding posted speed limit in active work zone by 11 miles per hour or more, per Title 75 – §1535(e)(2).
Conviction of 31 miles per hour over limit requires hearing, per Title 75 – §1538(d)
Suspension of 90 days when driver under 18 years of age exceeds maximum speed limit by more than 26 miles per hour, per Title 75 – §1538(e)
If exceeding speed limit by more than 5 miles per hour, offense carries points:
6 to 10 miles per hour over speed limit = 2 points
11 to 15 miles per hour over speed limit = 3 points
16 to 25 miles per hour over speed limit = 4 points
26 or more miles per hour over speed limit = 5 points
§ 3362. Maximum speed limits.
(a) General rule.–Except when a special hazard exists that requires lower speed for compliance with section 3361 (relating to driving vehicle at safe speed), the limits specified in this section or established under this subchapter shall be maximum lawful speeds and no person shall drive a vehicle at a speed in excess of the following maximum limits:
(1) 35 miles per hour in any urban district.
(1.1) 65 miles per hour for all vehicles on freeways where the department has posted a 65-miles-per-hour speed limit.
(1.2) 25 miles per hour in a residence district if the highway:
(i) is not a numbered traffic route; and
(ii) is functionally classified by the department as a local highway.
(2) 55 miles per hour in other locations.
(3) Any other maximum speed limit established under this subchapter.
(b) Posting of speed limit.–
(1) No maximum speed limit established under subsection (a)(1), (1.2) or (3) shall be effective unless posted on fixed or variable official traffic-control devices erected in accordance with regulations adopted by the department which regulations shall require posting at the beginning and end of each speed zone and at intervals not greater than one-half mile.
(2) No maximum speed limit established under subsection (a)(1.1) shall be effective unless posted on fixed or variable official traffic-control devices erected after each interchange on the portion of highway on which the speed limit is in effect and wherever else the department shall determine.
(1) Any person violating this section is guilty of a summary offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to pay a fine of:
(i) $42.50 for violating a maximum speed limit of 65 miles per hour; or
(ii) $35 for violating any other maximum speed limit.
(2) Any person exceeding the maximum speed limit by more than five miles per hour shall pay an additional fine of $2 per mile for each mile in excess of five miles per hour over the maximum speed limit.
(June 13, 1995, P.L.57, No.9, eff. 30 days; Dec. 21, 1998, P.L.1126, No.151, eff. 60 days; June 26, 2001, P.L.734, No.75, eff. 60 days)
2001 Amendment. Act 75 amended subsec. (a)(1.1).
1998 Amendment. Act 151 amended subsec. (b)(1) and added subsec. (a)(1.2).
1995 Amendment. See section 4 of Act 9 in the appendix to this title for special provisions relating to report on effect of increased speed limit.